[Rd] copyright issues when package maintainer changes

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 20:59:16 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Whit Armstrong wrote:

> I will be taking over as maintainer of the its package from Giles Heywood.
> The code was originally written while he was working at Commerzbank.  I have
> added the header below to the top of the R source file to indicate the
> changes in the copyrights for the code.  The package was originally released
> under GPL2.  I have no experience with copyright issues, and would
> appreciate it if someone who does would kindly indicate whether the header
> below is correct and conforms with normal practice.

Well, GPL2 is a licence, not a copyright.  I don't know what country you
are in, whereas Giles was in the UK -- copyright issues are somewhat
country-specific.

However, two recommendations:

1) only give the year of the changes.  They can overlap.
2) only add your copyright statement to files you actually change
(and not just change by adding a copyright statement but adding something
with intellectual content).

This is all untested waters and let's hope it remains that way!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk