[Rd] wide spacing in plotmath() (PR#7324)

martin.koechy at gmx.net martin.koechy at gmx.net
Fri Oct 29 13:07:47 CEST 2004

Full_Name: Martin Köchy
Version: 2.0.0
OS: Mac OS X 10.3.5
Submission from: (NULL) (141.89.60.147)

Using plotmath produces text whose spacing is very wide. I used the provided
example
x <- seq(-4, 4, len = 101)
y <- cbind(sin(x), cos(x))
matplot(x, y, type = "l", xaxt = "n",
        main = expression(paste(plain(sin) * phi, "  and  ",
                                plain(cos) * phi)),
        ylab = expression("sin" * phi, "cos" * phi), # only 1st is taken
        xlab = expression(paste("Phase Angle ", phi)),
        col.main = "blue")
axis(1, at = c(-pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2, pi),
     lab = expression(-pi, -pi/2, 0, pi/2, pi))

which produces
      s  i  n   phi   a  n  d              c  o  s    phi
at the top of the graph in the quartz device, the remainder is similarly oddly
spaced. The odd spacing also occurs in demo(plotmath).

I tried the same with R2.0.0 under Windows 2000 where the graphical output was
OK.