[Rd] Destructive str(...)?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 30 10:18:41 CEST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> I have encountered a strange behavior of the str function - it seems to
> modify the object that is displayed. Probably I'm using something
> unsupported (objects consisting just of an external reference), but

Yes, and I think it is documented somewhere, but I can't lay my hands on
it right now.

> still I'm curious as of why this happens. I create (in C code)
> EXTPTRSXP and associate a class to it via SET_CLASS. Such objects works
> fine until it's passed to str as the following output demonstrates:
>
>  > c<-.MCall("RController","getRController")
>  > c
> [1] "<RController: 0x3be5d0>"
>  > str(c)
> Class 'ObjCid' length 1 <pointer: 0x3be5d0>
>  > c
> <pointer: 0x3be5d0>
>  > str(c)
> length 1 <pointer: 0x3be5d0>
>
> The .MCall basically produces an external reference and assigns a class
> (ObjCid) to it. There's a corresponding print method and it works fine.
> However, when str is called, it strips the class information from the
> object as a repeated call to str also shows:
>
>   > str(c); str(c)
> Class 'ObjCid' length 1 <pointer: 0x3be5d0>
> length 1 <pointer: 0x3be5d0>
>
> Is this behavior intentional, undocumented or simply wrong?

The issue is almost certainly that something has forgotten/decided not to
either set or respect SET_NAMED on the object, so when str does

	object <- unclass(object)

or some such, the original object gets changed.  Now the `something' has
to be C code: possibly yours but probably something in R itself.

I think this is intentional.  External references do not get copied, and
the advice I recall is to wrap them in a list for use at R level (and
before setting a class on them).  In RODBC I took another tack, and attach
the reference as an attribute to a `documentation' object.

str() probably ought to be more cautious when it encounters at external
reference or similar exotic object, since it will look at list elements
and attributes.

Brian

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk