[Rd] Destructive str(...)?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 31 11:20:45 CET 2004

Just to be 100% clear, the finalizer is called *at most* once if (as in
tcltk) R_RegisterCFinalizer is called.  If you want it to be called
exactly once, you need to use R_RegisterCFinalizerEx.

The issue is that there may not be a final gc().

BTW, str(x) is destructive here too, so we do need to improve str().
I have code written, but access to svn.r-project.org is down (yet again).

> x <- as.tclObj(pi)
> str(x)
Class 'tclObj' length 1 <pointer: 0x860c3f8>
> str(x)
length 1 <pointer: 0x860c3f8>

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk