[Rd] having trouble building r-devel

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Sep 8 04:25:09 CEST 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:01:25 +1000, <Mark.Bravington at csiro.au> wrote:

>Dear R-devel
>
>On my Windows 2000 machine, I can build R-patched but not R-devel (since at least 1/9/2004). An error message pops up during the execution of some R code during "make", as below. In terms of "make" etc., I am totally clueless (not being a user of either Linux or C) and just mechanically follow the instructions in the R documentation; hence I've got no idea what to do when things snarf.
>
>More information below. Any advice appreciated-- I'm trying to test a patch for R2.0.0.

I haven't seen the error you report, but the general strategy on
seeing a make error is to "make distclean", and try again.

If that doesn't work, it might be worth checking your Perl version:  R
2.0.0 seems to need 5.8.x.  Previously this was just recommended, and
I ran on 5.6.x until very recently.  I thought I had updated the
Rtools page (www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools) to say this, but
looking just now shows the old page...

Duncan Murdoch