[Rd] A couple of issues with colClasses/setAs

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Sep 8 16:38:58 CEST 2004

Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> writes:

> To make it actually work, we should probably fixup the "what" that is
> being passed to scan a bit further upstreams.
>

> > Might be a good idea to teach colClasses about "factor".
>
> That's what I thought. Other ideas would be to predefine some standard
> date classes (it's a bit annoying that there's no way to give
> auxiliary information like formats), and maybe to allow a second
> header line containing class names.

Done already, I see (except the class-header idea, which probably
requires more thought). Thanks.

While we're in there should we perhaps consider adding pseudo-classes

"Ymd"
"dmY"
"mdY"
"Y/m/d"
"d/m-Y"
"m/d/Y"

etc?  Or perhaps it is better with a catchall "Date-fmt", i.e., e.g.,
"Date-%Y%m%d"? That'd be fairly easy to code:

else if (length(grep("^Date-",colClasses[i])))
        as.Date(data[[i]], sub("^Date-(.*)$","\\1", colClasses[i]))

although perhaps not so easy to document concisely.