[Rd] as(object,"list") as(object,"matrix") differences?

John Chambers jmc at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Sep 9 17:41:33 CEST 2004

If the only issue is whether as(x, "list") preserves the names
attribute, this is certainly an easy change to implement, if the R
community decides that's the better solution.

With the release of 2.0 only a few weeks away, there's not much chance
of resolving the question for that version.  Although the change is
simple, there may be some implications that will not arise until a good
deal of testing is done.  So a more likely target is to resolve the
question for version 2.1.

By the way, one argument in your favor is that S-Plus retains the names
in as(x, "list") (but not in as(x, "numeric"), even if x had names in
that case).  So a closer approximation to compatibility with the
behavior of S-Plus would retain names.  (I'm not quite convinced this is
what the discussion in the green book would imply, but it's what
happens!)

If others have opinions, it would be good to hear them.

Meanwhile, a candidate for the simplest workaround:  Have new classes
extend the class "listNamed" defined below, rather than "list" directly,
and as(x, "list") should retain names, I think.

setClass("listNamed", "list")

setAs("listNamed", "list", function(from) {
    if(strict) class(from) <- "list"
    from
})

Although not necessary for correctness, it's probably good to add the
following method for "show".  (With the default method, names are not
printed, even though they are there--users are likely to be confused.)

setMethod("show", "listNamed",
          function(object) {
              cat("An object of class ", class(object), "\n", sep="")
              show(as(object, "list"))
          })

(By the way, the workaround depends on the bug fix to setAs committed
recently to r-devel, so if you try this you should use the latest
version.)

John M. Chambers                  jmc at bell-labs.com
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies    office: (908)582-2681
700 Mountain Avenue, Room 2C-282  fax:    (908)582-3340
Murray Hill, NJ  07974            web: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/~jmc