[Rd] fortran data statement

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 16 18:30:49 CEST 2004

For the record:

I had an inquiry about a problem with the function lm.fit.recursive
in my quantreg package on a 64bit gentoo linux system.  After
some debugging the problem was traced to the fact that on this
system g77 took the view that the statement:

	data one/1.0d0/

meant that the symbol one should take the value  zero.  Replacing such
data
statements with their parameter statement equivalent, resolved
the problem.   This obnoxious behavior seems  not to be news to the gcc
folks,
see http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2002-08/msg00195.html
but they don't show any inclination  to fix it either.  I am in the
process of updating my packages and thought that others might
appreciate a warning  -- or,more likely,  enjoy the schadenfreude of
enlightened
C-aphones.

url:	www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger        	Roger Koenker
email	rkoenker at uiuc.edu			Department of Economics
vox: 	217-333-4558				University of Illinois
fax:   	217-244-6678				Champaign, IL 61820