[Rd] problem with R CMD build (PR#7240)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Sep 20 22:47:09 CEST 2004

sego at vt.edu writes:

> Hello,
>
> This may not be a bug--but I'm not sure.

In that case you should not submit a bug report. Someone will have to
clean up after you.

> I have R 1.91 installed on a
> machine that's running Windows XP.

And the current year is approx. 2045... (1.9.1 is the current version)

> In Cygwin, when I attempt to use the
> "build" command it tells me that TMPDIR is set to an invalid directory.
> See the results below:

It is saying that TMPDIR is not set to a valid directory, which is not
quite the same thing. It would appear that it is not set at all.

> stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> which r
> /cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1091/bin/r
>
> stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> r CMD build --help
> Please set TMPDIR to a valid temporary directory
>
> stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> r CMD build validate
> Please set TMPDIR to a valid temporary directory
>
> stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> echo $TMPDIR
> TMPDIR: Undefined variable.
>
> stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> echo $TMP
> /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/sego/LOCALS~1/Temp
>
> stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> echo $TEMP
> /cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/sego/LOCALS~1/Temp
>
> What is TMPDIR?  How can I set it?

A temporary directory. "export TMPDIR=$TMP" would be a guess if you're
using bash. Otherwise, however you normally set environment variables.
Did you read the INSTALL and README.packages files? In particular
there seems to be a couple of gotchas involved when running under
Cygwin.