[Rd] Ordering of values returned by unique

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Wed Sep 29 18:09:18 CEST 2004

AFAIK, it has always worked that way in S-plus and R.  Furthermore, the
documentation in R for 'unique' says that it removes duplicated
elements.  This does seem to leave the possibility that element other than
the first of a set of duplicates is retained, which could mess up the
order.  However, the documentation for 'duplicated' is clearer: it says
that 'duplicated' identifies duplicates of earlier elements.  Also in the
examples for 'duplicated', it says that x[!duplicated(x)] == unique(x)
(paraphrased).

I depend on this all the time, so I also checked some references.  In the
Blue book the documentation for the functions unique and duplicated is
combined and implies the above.  In MASS 4th Ed, the page referred to by
the index entry for 'unique' (p48, #9 in my copy) states that 'unique'
removes duplicates as identified by 'duplicated', which implies that the
order of retained elements is not changed.  The Green book has no index
entry for 'unique'.  In S-plus the implementation of unique.default(x) uses
x[!duplicated(x)].

So, I think the evidence is pretty strong that unique(x) will always return
elements in the same order as they first appear in x.  But it would be nice
if the documentation for 'unique' explicitly stated that this is the
behavior for all methods.  (It does state this for the array method for
'unique').

-- Tony Plate