[Rd] Problem with _new_ if class "lm" in object representatio n.

Eric Lecoutre lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
Thu Sep 30 15:06:53 CEST 2004

Hi,

For your lm problem, you could begin to create a virtual class that accepts
either NULL or a lm object:

 > setClassUnion("mylm", c("NULL","lm"))
 > setClass("foo", representation(x="numeric", y="mylm"))
 > new("foo",x=1,y=NULL)

Then, you have to check the content of slot y in any function that will
manipulate objects of class "foo":

         setMethod("show","foo",function(object)
         {
         cat("\n object of class foo")
         if (!is.null(object at y)) cat(" does have a lm object in slot y!")
         })

Eric

Eric Lecoutre
UCL /  Institut de Statistique
Voie du Roman Pays, 20
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

tel: (+32)(0)10473050
lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISpersonnel/lecoutre

If the statistics are boring, then you've got the wrong numbers. -Edward
Tufte