[Rd] a couple of things about ":"

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Apr 7 23:13:47 CEST 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Liaw, Andy wrote:

> - It seems counter-intuitive to allow non-integer values as operand for ":".
> It also seems a bit odd that 1:2 returns something with storage.mode
> integer, whereas 0.5:2 gives doubles.  Would it make sense to disallow
> non-integer operands to ":"?  I can't think of a situation when non-integer
> operands for ":" would be good...

It depends on what you mean by non-integer.  You certainly want to allow
operand with storage.mode "double".  You might want to exclude
non-integers, but then you have problems with rounding:

   a<-sqrt(2)
   b<-sqrt(3)
   (a^2):(b^2)

would fail.  Allowing non-integers up to some tolerance would be needed,
but then there isn't much reason to forbid 0.5:2, and someone might have a
use for it.

 	-thomas