[Rd] R-beta 2004-04-07 build failed on AIX

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 8 20:26:49 CEST 2005

"Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com> writes:

> OK, after re-building R with the debug flags, I don't think I'm getting
> anything useful.  GDB gives me:
>
> gdb) run --vanilla < /ltmp/try.R
> Starting program: /SFS/user/ry/liawand/R/Rbuild/bin/exec/R --vanilla <
> /ltmp/try.R

Nothing in here??

> Error: [tcsetpgrp failed in terminal_inferior: Not owner]
> aix-thread resume: unknown pthread 19
> aix-thread: fetch_registers: pthdb_pthread_context returned CALLBACK
>
> (gdb) bt
> Error: aix-thread: fetch_registers: pthdb_pthread_context returned CALLBACK
>
> and:
>
> Unable to Read Instructions at 0x90000000018c6d4
>
> Anyone know what these means?

Not really, but a couple of thoughts:

1) Why are threads involved? Multi-threaded blas? Can you build
   without one?

2) If you blew away the stack, the object is to get to the point just
   before it happened, which means checkpoints, single-stepping and
   general attempts to bisect the path leading to the point of
   failure. Can you read the gc_count variable after the crash? It is
   sometimes useful to conditionalize breakpoints (cond 1
   gc_count==1234 etc.)