[Rd] new R package BRugs

plummer at iarc.fr plummer at iarc.fr
Sun Apr 10 16:03:42 CEST 2005

Quoting Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de>:

> OK, here we go (since we forgot to address the the Linux folks' problems
> explicitly - apologies!).
>
> *In principle*, you need the 1.5 version of the BlackBox Compiler from
> http://www.oberon.ch/blackbox.html
>
> Details and documentation how to compile are available from the
> developer manual:
> http://mathstat.helsinki.fi/openbugs/data/Docu/Developer%20Manual.html
>
> *BUT*:
> - We (Sibylle and Uwe) have not managed to compile OpenBUGS ourselves.
> - In particular, we have not managed to get the .dll/.so compiled, and
> Andrew Thomas writes in the developer manual: "Please note I am the only
> person who has the ELF linker at present".
>
> That's why we do ship the .so/.dll for now (and later?).
>
> Andrew Thomas told us that the .so is supposed to work under some Linux
> versions (I have never managed to get it to work up to now, but this is
> high level on the ToDo list).

The linux .so assumes an old kernel ABI. With a recent Linux kernel you will
need to do (in a bash shell)

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

before using it. If not you will get a BlackBox message about failure to install
signal.

Unfortunately the BRugs package still crashes R with a memory error, but
presumably it is one step closer to working.