[Rd] documentation for 'open': some clarification?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:24:31 CEST 2005

Here is an example:

# read and print first 10 lines one by one
# the next two lines could be collapsed into con <- file("myfile", r)
con <- file("myfile")
open(con)
for(i in 1:10) print(readLines(con, n=1))
close(con)

Also its possible that you may not need open.  For example,
one can just read it all in at once like this:

mylines <- readLines("myfile")
# and now mylines[1] is the first line, etc.

# or
my.numbers <- scan("myfile")

# or
my.table <- read.table("myfile")