[Rd] Overloading methods in R

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:45:09 CEST 2005

Thanks a lot Tony. I am trying to apply the overloading to the methods
created by R.oo package and, unfortunately, R.oo uses S3-style classes; so I
cannot use the features of S4 methods as you described. On the other hand, I
caouldn't find a decent OO package which is based on S4 AND comes with the
official release of R.

Assume we have this class created using R.oo:

-------------------------
require(R.oo)

setConstructorS3("SomeClass",
    function(...)
    {
        extend(Object(), "SomeClass");
    }
);

setMethodS3(
    "fun",
    "SomeClass",
    function(this, x, ...)
    {
        paste(x);
    }
);
-------------------------

Now if we overload the method by:

-------------------------
setMethodS3(
    "fun",
    "SomeClass",
    function(this, x, y, ...)
    {
        paste(x, y);
    }
);

then R.oo overwrites the method 'fun' with the new definition. As the
overloaded methods share the same class, it is not possible to use the
function overloading method as you described.

I hope there is some other way to handle this problem.