[Rd] Overloading methods in R

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Thu Apr 21 21:11:08 CEST 2005

Ali - wrote:
> Henrik,
>
> [snip]
 >
> Finally, I remind the package author about the original question:
>
> - How to overload methods in classes created by R.oo package?
> [snip]

Maybe you missed it in the flurry of messages, but did the idea
suggested by Gabor Grothendick not suit your needs?  I don't know the
R.oo package, but Gabor's idea worked with the S3 class system, and just
required some easily programmable syntactic processing to generate the
method names.  (Basically the idea was that the generic function would
dynamically create a class for its first argument, which consisted of
the classes of all the arguments appended together.  If there is little
inheritance structure, this should work fine.)

cheers,

Tony Plate