[Rd] Enhanced version of plot.lm()

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Apr 24 14:23:51 CEST 2005

On 24 Apr 2005, at 05:37, John Maindonald wrote:

> I'd not like to lose the signs of the residuals. Also, as
> plots 1-3 focus on residuals, there is less of a mental
> leap in moving to residuals vs leverage; residuals vs
> leverage/(1-leverage) would also be in the same spirit.

Yes, I know what you mean.  Mental leaps are a matter of
taste...pitfalls, etc, come to mind.

> Maybe, one way or another, both plots (residuals vs
> a function of leverage, and the plot from Hinkley et al)
> should go in.  The easiest way to do this is to add a
> further which=6.  I will do this if the consensus is that
> this is the right way to go.  In any case, I'll add the
> Hinkley et al reference (author of the contribution that
> includes p.74?) to the draft help page.

Sorry, I should have given the full reference, which (in BibTeX format
from CIS) is

@inproceedings{Firt:gene:1991,
     author = {Firth, D.},
     title = {Generalized Linear Models},
     year = {1991},
     booktitle = {Statistical Theory and Modelling. In Honour of Sir
David Cox, FRS},
     editor = {Hinkley, D. V. and Reid, N. and Snell, E. J.},
     publisher = {Chapman \& Hall Ltd},
     pages = {55--82},
     keywords = {Analysis of deviance; Likelihood}
}

David