[Rd] Speeding up library loading

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:52:02 CEST 2005

>4Mb R file just containing .Call()s? Never seen something like that.
>If these are all very small functions, lazy load won't be of that
>advantage, because you have to load the index file anyway.
>
>You know, R including all base and recommended packages has just ~ 6Mb of R
>code. Are you really sure about your code?

Positively. The wrapped library is actually much bigger than R, it brings a
few hundered new classes to R. The library has been already wrapped to other
languages like java, and the loading speed for these other languages is
quite reasonable. I cannot see any reasons why not this can be done with R
too -- as a computational application R is supposed to be efficient in all
ways.

It seems that, so far, no packages as big as this one have been created for
R. I would appreciate any clues from the development team for improving the
performance of big packages in R.