[Rd] tclServiceMode: stop Tcl/Tk from updating

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 26 17:00:20 CEST 2005

Dear Duncan,

I hope that some follow-up questions are in order:

In the Rcdmr package, there is a pair of functions for initializing and
completing dialogs:

initializeDialog <- defmacro(window=top, title="", offset=10,
    expr={
        window <- tktoplevel(borderwidth=10)
        tkwm.title(window, title)
        position <- if (is.SciViews()) -1 else commanderPosition() # +PhG
        position <- if (any(position < 0)) "-50+50"
            else paste("+", paste(offset + position, collapse="+"), sep="")
        tkwm.geometry(window, position)
        }
    )

dialogSuffix <- defmacro(window=top, onOK=onOK, rows=1, columns=1,
focus=top,
    bindReturn=TRUE, preventGrabFocus=FALSE, preventDoubleClick=FALSE,
    expr={
        for (row in 0:(rows-1)) tkgrid.rowconfigure(window, row, weight=0)
        for (col in 0:(columns-1)) tkgrid.columnconfigure(window, col,
weight=0)
        .Tcl("update idletasks")
        tkwm.resizable(window, 0, 0)
        if (bindReturn) tkbind(window, "<Return>", onOK)
        if (getRcmdr("double.click") && (!preventDoubleClick))
tkbind(window, "<Double-ButtonPress-1>", onOK)
        tkwm.deiconify(window)
        # focus grabs appear to cause problems for some dialogs
        if (GrabFocus() && (!preventGrabFocus)) tkgrab.set(window)
        tkfocus(focus)
        tkwait.window(window)
        }
    )

(Both of these are "macro-like" in the sense of Thomas Lumley's R-news
article.)

If I understand you correctly, I could improve the R Commander's stability
under windows by putting tclServiceMode(on = FALSE) at the beginning of
initializeDialog(), and tclServiceMode(on = TRUE) at the end of
dialogSuffix(). Is that correct? If so, is there any harm in doing this on
other platforms, or should I test for Windows? Finally, do you mind if I put
tclServiceMode() in the Rcmdr package for the time-being, or would it just
be better to wait for R 2.1.1?

Thanks,
 John

John Fox