[Rd] R_BATCHSAVE setting in config.site

Douglas Grove dgrove at fhcrc.org
Mon Aug 1 06:19:02 CEST 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> R is case-sensitive!
>
> 'batch mode' does not refer to using the utility `R CMD BATCH' (which you
> called 'BATCH mode' but is not actually running R but running a utility
> that runs R), and which is documented to set --save.
>
> Something like R < input.R is not interactive use, and in Unix parlance is
> 'batch' use.  It is the opposite of 'interactive' (see ?interactive). EOF
> is ignored in interactive use of R, but this setting does affect
> interactive use in that you will no longer be asked it you want to save
> the workspace.

Sorry, I was under the impression (obviously mistaken) that 'batch'
referred to non-interactive use of R, either via R < input.R or
via the CMD BATCH utility.  It *is* called 'BATCH' after all, so it's
not a great leap to assume it would be considered a 'batch' mode.

> This setting should probably be described in the R-admin manual, perhaps
> with a better name.

It would be good to mention somewhere (probably in ?quit) that setting
R_SAVEBATCH to --no-save will mess with the default of the 'save'
argument of quit().

Thanks for help,
Doug