[Rd] fifo on Windows

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 21:19:51 CEST 2005

fifo already works on UNIX, I assume, so it seems its already
the situation that fifos are supported on some machines running
R but not on others.  If they were supported on those Windows
platforms that can handle them then that would simply increase
the proportion of machines running R that can handle them
(thinking in terms of across all machines running R rather than
thinking in terms of across all machines running R and Windows).
Note that one does have the capabilities command in any case
so the code could query that at the beginning and give an
error if its FALSE so no change to the code would be required
in the future since it would never run in that situation anyways.