[Rd] S4 setClass with prototypes " issues" (PR#8053)

John Chambers jmc at R-project.org
Fri Aug 5 21:06:55 CEST 2005

Well, let's say R is currently picky when only a prototype is supplied.

The following is either a workaround or a revised, fussier requirement
for the example mentioned, depending on your interpretation.

R> setClass("sequence", representation(.Data="numeric"),
prototype=numeric(3))
[1] "sequence"
R> xx <- new('sequence',c(1,51,10))
R> xx
An object of class “sequence”
[1]  1 51 10
R> is(xx, "numeric")
[1] FALSE

So far, so good.  But there are a couple of catches.

The resolution of prototype and representation is currently somewhat of
a mess in the R implementation.  There's been some discussion of
cleaning it up, hopefully moving ahead from the Green Book description
to a more coherent definition.  So whether eventually one could (or
should) omit the representation() part remains to be seen.

The other relevant flaw currently is that S4 objects have no special
internal representation in R, so there's effectively no way to keep
primitive operations from working on them. (The general & notorious
example is that xx[] always returns something on an S4 object, even when
it shouldn't.)  In the current case, the problem is that, in spite of
not extending "numeric", low-level arithmetic is still done.

R> xx+1
An object of class “sequence”
[1]  2 52 11

Something basic is needed here, in the code for primitives, but so far
objections re efficiency have prevented doing anything.

Meanwhile, those more interested in getting something done than
discussing, would need to implement explicit methods for the new class
that either re-interpret or block the primitives that shouldn't happen
in the standard way.