[Rd] Tests of gcc-4.0.1

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Sat Aug 6 00:35:27 CEST 2005

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>I had promised to report on tests of gcc-4.0.1, and have now tracked down
>all the outstanding issues.
>
>I am comparing gcc3 (gcc-3.4.4 including g77) and gcc4 (gcc-4.0.1
>including gfortran) on FC3, both i686 and x86_64 (the latter both 64-bit
>and 32-bit builds).  All compiled from the sources (the FC3 update to
>3.4.4 was not out when I started this).
>
>The bottom line is that 4.0.1 shows none of the serious errors that 4.0.0
>showed, but was always slower (usually 4-10% slower) than gcc3 and (see
>below) about 25 CRAN packages fail only about half of which are
>attributable to deficiences in the packages.
>
>The differences between the outputs has shown some places where R is more
>sensitive to rounding errors than might have been thought.  Amongst these
>are
>
>- ppr (that was known)
>- lowess, which can be extremely sensitive to the number of iterations
>   allowed, as shown by panel 8 in example(attenu).
>- contouring, in particular the exact place contour labels are placed.
>- str, which depended on a test ob == signif(ob, digits.d), and signif()
>   was unnecessarily causing rounding error by dividing by a negative power
>   of 10 (now fixed).
>- the extreme test in example(smooth.spline), which showed quite large
>   differences.
>
>Amongst CRAN packages:
>
>RSvgDevice is said to have invalid C
>
>acepack, deldir, fMultivar, fOptions, fSeries, frailtypack, gap, gcmrec,
>hmm.discnp, labdsv, survrec
>
>have invalid Fortran. (Most of these have been reported to the maintainers
>some time ago.)
>
>Geneland infinite loops
>NISTnls, gss, relsurv fail their tests
>SparseM, asypow,

The fortran left in asypow does things (noncentral chisquare
distribution) which are available
at the R level. If problem if with the fortran I remove it completely.

Kjetil

--

Kjetil Halvorsen.

Peace is the most effective weapon of mass construction.
               --  Mahdi Elmandjra

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.