[Rd] IPC

Nigel Sim nigel.sim at jcu.edu.au
Sun Aug 21 14:46:22 CEST 2005

Hi, I need to somehow make R communicate with another remote JAVA
process which provides compute services. I have control over the
communications protocol, but I would like to keep it to a standardised
protocol, such as SOAP, CORBA, etc.

What I would like to know is, what do other people use to do this? The
nature of the communications will be low bandwidth procedure calls, with
little data. (The data is stored in a DBMS). To date I have tried the
RCORBA and SSOAP packages. Corba I couldn't get to compile, and soap I
couldn't get to talk properly to soapanywhere (the embedded soap
implementation I am trialing).

I'm sure with persistence I can get both working, but I would like to
hear others experiences before I invest the time.

Thank you for your time.
--
Nigel Sim

PhD Candidate
School of Mathematics and Physical Sciences
James Cook University
+61 7 4781 4247
+61 409 277 641