[Rd] An lgrind definition for the S language

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Mon Aug 22 21:17:16 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 12:57 -0500, Douglas Bates wrote:
> I seem to recall discussion of an language definition file for S for
> use with the lgrind utility but I can't find any trace of it in an R
> Site Search.  The lgrind utility takes a file of code in a particular
> programming language and prepares it for "pretty printing" in LaTeX.
> In my version the available language definitions are
>
> $ lgrind -s
> When specifying a language case is insignificant. You can use the
> name of the language, or, where available, one of the synonyms in
> parantheses. Thus the following are legal and mark Tcl/Tk, Pascal
> and Fortran input, respectively:
>    lgrind -ltcl/tk ...
>    lgrind -lpaSCAL ...
>    lgrind -lf ...
> The list of languages currently available in your lgrindef file:
>     Ada                               MLisp  (Emacs Mock Lisp)
>     Asm                               SML/NJ  (ML)
>     Asm68                             Scheme  (scm)
>     BASIC                             model
>     Batch  (bat)                      Modula2  (mod2, m2)
>     C                                 Pascal  (pas, p, bp)
>     C++  (CC)                         PERL  (pl)
>     csh                               PostScript  (ps)
>     FORTRAN  (f77, f)                 PROLOG
>     Gnuplot                           Python  (py)
>     Icon                              RATFOR
>     IDL                               RLaB
>     ISP                               Russell
>     Java                              SAS
>     Kimwitu++  (kimw)                 SDL
>     LaTeX                             sh
>     LDL                               SICStus
>     Lex                               src
>     Linda                             SQL
>     make                              Tcl/Tk  (tcl, tk)
>     MASM                              VisualBasic  (vbasic)
>     MATLAB                            VMSasm
>     Mercury                           yacc  (y)
>
> Does anyone know of a similar facility for S code?

Doug,

A search using Jon Baron's page came up with the following thread:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2000-April/004898.html

by Kjetil Kjernsmo

and the following post by Torsten Hothorn:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2000-March/004345.html

I checked "Rhelp 1997-2001" on Jon's search page, otherwise these would
be missed.

Another approach would be to use Google with the following:

   lgrind site:https://stat.ethz.ch

which would search the archives, including r-devel.

HTH,

Marc