[Rd] weigths in boxplot

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 23 15:06:34 CEST 2005

    Erich> In R 2.2.0 density now can work with weighted
    Erich> obesrvations.  It would be nice if boxplot also would
    Erich> accept a weight parameter, then one could produce
    Erich> consistent density estimators and boxplots.

    Erich> Could the developers consider adding this feature?

The first thing I'd want is  quantile() with weights --- which I
personally find quite interesting and have wanted several times
in the past --- not wanted enough to implement though.

I'm interested to hear of (or even see C or R implementations of)
fast algorithms for "weight quantiles".
Code contributions are welcome too..

(And yes, I do know that boxplots are base on "hinges" rather than
 quartiles but that's less interesting here.)

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: +41-44-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><