[Rd] Typo(s) in proc.time.Rd and comment about ?proc.time (PR#8092)

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 18:30:01 CEST 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 Weigand.Stephen at mayo.edu wrote:

> I just downloaded the file
>
> ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-devel.tar.gz
>
> and within proc.time.Rd, the second paragraph of the \value
> section contains a typo:

I believe your understanding of the English language is different from the
author here, who is English.  (You on the other hand seem to think there
is no need to give your country in your address when writing an addess in
Denmark.)  The preferred language for R documentation is English (and not
American).

> The resolution of the times will be system-specific; it is common for
> them to be recorded to of the order of 1/100 second, and elapsed [...]
>                     ^^^^^
>
> I'd say replacing "to of" with just "of" would grammatically
> fix the sentence.

I'd say it was correct and your correction is incorrect.  In English we
say `recorded to 1/100th of a second', not `recorded 1/100th second'.

> Second, the \note{} section for Unix-like machines reads:
>
> It is possible to compile \R without support for \code{proc.time},
> when the function will throw an error.
>
> I believe this is ungrammatical and suggest replacing
> "when the function will throw an error" with "in which
> case the function will throw an error".

Again, the statement given is the intended meaning.

> Finally, my comment about ?proc.time is that if across
> platforms the returned value is in seconds, then it might
> be helpful to readers if this were noted explicitly in the
> first paragraph of \value{}.

Yes, *if*.  Do you know that?