[Rd] ???UNSURE??? Re: (PR#8363) R CMD INSTALL fails if cd prints

p.lijnzaad@med.uu.nl p.lijnzaad at med.uu.nl
Mon Dec 5 13:28:52 CET 2005

On Friday 02 December 2005 18:20, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> What shells are these?

Bash, mostly, but also ksh and zsh; sorry for not mentioning this. I now see
that the root account usually does not change the behaviour of cd, so we may
as well forget about the matter. My thought was: if a small change helps
avoid this problem (which I think can occur easily enough), it could be
helpful. Incidentally, IMHO the way it is coded in INSTALL.in (I didn't know
about INSTALL.in, sorry) is a bit unusual; cd does not seem to be required by
the POSIX standard to have non-zero exit status when it fails (and in fact,
on older SunOSes, 'cd non/existant/directory' returns 0). But that is
probably more a matter of style, more than anything else. Regards,

                                                                       Philip

--
Philip Lijnzaad
Genomics Laboratory