[Rd] Building R with f2c - still needed?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 09:09:49 CET 2005

Thank you both for the comments.  The problem is that we have a lot of
special-casing for f2c in the configure code, and I think it is becoming
unmaintainable.  (I've been doing some cleaning up after discovering
several errors in little-used cases, e.g. a substitute for alloca was
compiled iff --enable-R-shlib was not specified.)

A cleaner solution would be to use a wrapper for f2c as a pseudo-compiler.
I'll test that, and if it works then start to strip the special-casing
out.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk