[Rd] SVN-REVSION altered when building R-devel out of tree from last snapshot

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Dec 20 02:10:58 CET 2005

Hi,

Today I downloaded and compiled the last R-devel snapshot.
The SVN-REVISION in the tarball contains the following:

  Revision: 36792
  Last Changed Date: 2005-12-18

But after compiling on Unix (I compiled out of tree), I ended up
with an SVN-REVSION file containing:

  Revision: unknown
  Last Changed Date: Today

in the build tree.

Then when I start R, I get:

  R : Copyright Today, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
  Version 2.3.0 Under development (unstable) (Today-Today-Today)
  ISBN 3-900051-07-0

even if I naively edit the SVN-REVISION in the build tree before to
start R.

I got this problem on a 64-bit SUSE Linux 9.2, a 32-bit SUSE Linux 9.2
and a Solaris 2.9 sparc system.
On Windows however (where I built R directly in the source tree) I don't
have this problem.

We need to update R-devel on our various build machines in order to test
Bioconductor devel packages with last R-devel and we try to have the exact
same R revision number on every test-machine. Last time I updated R-devel
was 12/01/2005 and I used the same procedure that I am using today but
I didn't have the SVN-REVISION problem.

Also I didn't try to build R-devel from SVN. Maybe this could solve the
problem. It's just that using the tarball was easier to manage.
Anyway I thought it might be worth reporting.

Regards,

Hervé

--
Hervé Pagès