[Rd] Build error on Mac OS X

Herve Pages hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Dec 22 22:40:44 CET 2005

Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Herve Pages wrote:
>
>> I don't get that problem with R-devel daily snapshots from before
>> 2005-12-14
>> and I get it with (almost) all snaphots between 2005-12-14 and today.
>

> Strange - I have only failure on 2005/12/17 - all others built fine
> (same system: 7.9.0). Did you try the SVN checkout? I can't test the
> current tar-ball on the Panther machine, because it's running the
> nightly builds right now...

Simon,

This error occurs in src/main/Makefile.
I'm not really understanding what's going on here but I was wondering why
'-lintl' would be a target. It became a target in R-devel r36724
(2005-12-13).
In fact, a big change occured in src/main/Makefile.in between r36723 and
r36724. One of them is the introduction of the COMMON_DEPENDENCIES
variable:

+COMMON_DEPENDENCIES = $(R_XTRA_LIBS) $(R_ZLIBS)        $(R_BZLIBS)
$(R_PCRE) \
+       $(R_XDR) @LIBINTL@ \
+       @USE_EXPORTFILES_TRUE@ $(top_builddir)/etc/R.exp

If I remove @LIBINTL@ from this definition, it happens that I can build
and run
last R-devel on all platforms I have access to: Windows, 64-bit SuSE
Linux 9.2,
32-bit SuSE Linux 9.2, Solaris 2.9 AND Mac OS X.
Not sure what this @LIBINTL@ dependency is needed for however...

I attached the file containing my svn diff output.

Regards,

H.

--
Hervé Pagès