[Rd] Rserve setSEXP command

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Dec 26 19:34:15 CET 2005

Hi Chris,

On Dec 26, 2005, at 5:57 AM, Chris Burke wrote:

> Can any valid SEXP expression be given in the setSEXP command?
>
> I tried to send a numeric matrix by including the dim attribute
> with the data, but get an error code 68 (some parameters are
> invalid). Is the dim attribute not supported by setSEXP? If so,
> does this mean a matrix should be sent as a list, then a dim
> command sent in a second step?

It's a combination of a bug and missing feature. The bug is that the
attribute of an expression is not decoded at all. The missing feature
is that (dotted-pair) lists are not supported in decode, so you can't
pass an attribute anyway, because they are stored in dotted-pair
lists. So, for now, yes, you have to assign the names in a separate
step - I'll need to fix that ... I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for spotting this!

Cheers,
Simon