[Rd] Portability and Memory Issues for R-package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Dec 27 22:57:40 CET 2005

On 12/27/2005 3:44 PM, KNygren at us.imshealth.com wrote:
> My guess is that the key step for a user to be able to use my package still would be to install the gsl library first so it can be accessed during the build. I am not sure if Robin has a set of instructions for platform specific installation of his package (which would likely include the pre-installation of the gsl library).

This is not necessary on Windows, where most users install binary builds
of packages, because Brian Ripley has done the work to put together a
binary build that includes the necessary GSL routines.  I would expect
that if you require users to install GSL and compile your package
themselves, you'll get almost no Windows users.  I don't know what is
involved in installing the package on other platforms.

Duncan Murdoch