[Rd] New R folder names bring out Windows batch file bug

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:59:05 CET 2005

Just wanted to point out to anyone trying to write Windows
batch files that the new R-whatever folder names bring out
a bug in Windows batch files related to short file names.

In particular, this code (which is to the best of my understanding,
valid) gives an error. The solution appears to be to use long file
names, and make sure you quote them, rather than short ones.
That does require that R be able to handle such long names and
I think R does, in fact, handle them but at one time it did not in
all cases so use of short file names is likely just a workaround
from older times.  This does not affect R itself as far as I know
but did affect my batchfiles which I have revised.  I am using
Windows XP.

   C:\>set apath=\Program Files\R\R-2.2.1
   C:\>for /f "delims=" %a in ("%apath%") do set AA=%~sa
   C:\>set aa
   AA=C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-22~1.1.2.1
   C:\>cd %aa%