[Rd] Re: [R] Process to both write to and read from (pipe/fork)?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:44:37 CET 2005

[Moved from R-help.]

One reason you cannot easily do this with basic R functions is that it is
not portable.  E.g. pipes on Windows 98 do not work like that, and
system() on that OS has to work hard to do something similar.

If we only had to consider standard Unices, pipe() would allow read-write
modes.  As it is, it is easy for you to write an OS-specific extension.

BTW, please re-read the distinction between R-devel and R-help in the
posting guide: this (and most of your other recent postings) seem to me to
fall unambiguously within the specification for R-devel.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk