[Rd] Pre-building lazyload DB

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 8 17:53:59 CET 2005

What is the benefit of lazyload DB in this circumstance?  I don't see it
if your .rda files have one data object each and are compressed.

Do you have a `data/filelist' index in your packages, as suggested by
200update.txt and `Writing R Extensions'?  The slow examples I have seen
did not and so were wasting a lot of time preparing indices that could
have been supplied.

The design expectation was that large data packages would supply an index
and not use lazyloading for datasets but use separate compressed dumps for
each object.  If there is some reason to change that, please send an RFC
for the requirements and a design.

Did this not occur during the alpha/beta period for 2.0.0 several months
ago or has something in BioC changed since?  (I did ascertain that if
filelist was supplied the then BioC packages installed and loaded quickly
and smoothly.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk