[Rd] RE: [R] Windows Printing and Line Widths

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Tue Feb 8 21:32:13 CET 2005

... Moved from R-help ...

Thank you for your suggestion, Professor Ripley. Postscript does seem
like the way to go for printing line widths correctly in Windows.

On Linux I am using a simple dev.print() wrapper (as suggested), with a
pipe to lpr.

However, I had an extremely difficult time getting postscript printing
under windows.
?postscript recommends the RedMon suite of tools for printing PS files
to printers. I had no trouble installing and using this utility from my
shell, but under R, I observed this odd behavior:

options(printcmd='redpr')
plot(1:10)
dev.print(file = "Rplots.ps", print.it = TRUE)
dev.off()
## Nothing happens!!
q()
## Now it prints

That is, the file only prints when the R session is closed, and not when
the device is closed (contrary to the documentation). After some head
banging, I changed the printcmd options to lpr (the one that comes with
Windows XP), and the PS file printed out correctly after the dev.off()
command. If other people observe this behavior with Windows / RedMon,
then perhaps Windows lpr is the better tool.

Either way, I'm happy to now have beautiful Windows plots again on both
my R screen and R printer.

Thanks,
Robert