[Rd] Environment with no parent?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 8 23:04:41 CET 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> Looking in envir.c, I see this:
>>
>>     /* env is now R_NilValue, the base environment */
>>
>> which doesn't give me much hope, but maybe there's a trick....
>>
>> If not, would it be reasonable to install a magic "EmptyEnv" to use as
>> a parent in this sort of situation?
>>

> I'm fairly sure the answer is "nope".
>
> It's been annoying me for years, for language aesthetic reasons
> mostly, but also with some consideration of cases like yours, and I've
> been on the brink of implementing a version where the base environment
> was a true environment. Apart from the usual issue of "round tuits",
> I was held back by the fact that one has to consider at least two
> things:
>
> (a) efficiency. Is it expensive no longer to have the base functions
> bound directly to their symbol? (My gut feeling is that with suitable
> hashing and cacheing, the penalty is minimal.)
>
> (b) you can *only* use get and simple variable retrieval in a non-base
> environment with a NULL parent (eval(x <- 1, envir=foo) would give
> 'couldn't find function "<-"' or so). This could cause some confusion.

   And, I think, that a better approach is to implement a proper hash
table class
and to then implement environments as hash table + parent (rather than
the
current version, which would be environment  - parent), but the tuit
shortage is devastating on this side of the atlantic (possibly due to
the disadvantageous $/euro exchange rate; I'm sure you all can afford
more of them :-))

  Robert

| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700

| Head, Program in Computational Biology   fax:  (206) 667-1319   |