[Rd] Re: Compiler-specific flags with PKG_CFLAGS

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Feb 9 17:44:50 CET 2005

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Kurt Hornik wrote:
>> This concerns the packages...
>> for which current versions of r-devel now report problems with
>> non-portable compilation flags in Makevars[.in] files:
>>
>> Problems in package 'rwt':
>> Non-portable flags in variable 'PKG_CFLAGS':
>> -Wall -ansi -pedantic
>>
>> These flags are mostly GCC specific and not portable.
>> (Do not assume that any -Ox will work.)
>>
>> Can you please fix these problems, and provide an update of your
>> package?

> It has been on my todo list since Ripley brought it up
> several weeks ago in r-devel but hadn't exactly figured
> out how to package it as such. Someone have an example
> of how to add compiler flags for GCC when it is being
> used and otherwise not? I'm assuming Makevars isn't being
> passed through cpp and I can't just use #ifdef. In this case,
> I could just leave them out but I hate to lose the warnings
> for development. Using 'configure' is probably the only
> option but really didn't want to use it for just stricter
> error checking during compilation.

I think the simplest way to achieve this is to configure R locally (for
yourself) with CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -pedantic" but leave the corresponding
PKG_CFLAGS etc variables in package src/Makevars alone.

R 2.1.0 will provide a portable way of overriding the configured "site"
compilation flags via user-level ~/.R/Makevars files.

> One other question - if package update happens for something
> like the above but with no change to contents of package,
> should the version number be incremented?

Yes.

-k