[Rd] Notes on bug reports 3229 and 3242 - as.matrix.data.fram e

Gorjanc Gregor Gregor.Gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Sat Feb 12 03:37:58 CET 2005

I agree. Sorry for bothering.

With regards, Gregor

-----Original Message-----
From: Prof Brian Ripley [mailto:ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk]
Sent: pet 2005-02-11 22:35
To: Gorjanc Gregor
Cc: Liaw, Andy; r-devel at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: RE: [Rd] Notes on bug reports 3229 and 3242 - as.matrix.data.fram e

> ! I agree completely and as I have described up it is my fault that
> ! I have/had problems with as.matrix.data.frame by use of write.table.
> ! But I think that my proposal is nice, since as.matrix.data.frame would
> ! be more robust.

It is actually much less robust.  It would work for embedded data frames
of one column, but you could have a list column with entries of different
lengths. e.g.

X <- data.frame(x=1:2, y = I(list(a=1, b=3:4)))
> as.matrix(X)
   x y
a 1 1
b 2 Integer,2

With your fix, this becomes an error.  And I could replace those entries
by data frames containing lists of dates ....

Note that in R-devel write.table does not convert data frames to matrices,
so this does not arise.  We could treat your example specially, but surely
it was an error that is better found out about than hushed up.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk