[Rd] Subsetting using dimnames on S4 array-based class

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 13:32:23 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Iago Mosqueira wrote:

> I did send this message to r-help and got no reply, no I am resubmitting
> here in case this was a bit too specific for the other list.

Do read the posting guide before posting, as we ask.  It has clear
guidelines on this.

Your problem seems to be that you want to use named arguments in
subscripting (not really anything to do with your subject: using dimnames
is like

s["row 1", "col 2"]

and you are talking about *names of* dimnames).

It `works' for arrays because the definition there (in ?Extract) is not
the same as the generic you are using: notice the ... in the definitions,
and for arrays it is really "["(x, ..., drop=TRUE) and the names of ...
are ignored.

In brief: this is not how [ in R works.

Be careful:

m <- matrix(1:6, 2, 3)
M <- data.frame(a=1:2, b=3:4, c=5:6)
m[j=2, i=1] # 2
M[j=2, i=1] # 3

so argument names are ignored for the primitives, but not for S3 methods
(and I believe not for S4 methods).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk