[Rd] Subsetting using dimnames on S4 array-based class

Witold Eryk Wolski wolski at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Feb 17 14:21:08 CET 2005

Hi,

The topic of extending S4 classes from S3 classes was discussed several
times.
e.g.

S3 classes .... "don't have a consistent set of "slots" (they may or may
not have a "dimnames), they aren't quite real classes in an S4 sense. It
would be nice to fix this mess, but not obviously possible while being
back compatible."

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/05/01/1905.html

Eryk

Ps. A google search: *r-devel S4 array list* etc. Will provide you with
more references.