[Rd] How graphical an interface should the default be?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Fri Feb 25 13:57:17 CET 2005

Very nice additions you have made! Thanks.

Minor comment 1: Isn't ask=(TRUE|FALSE) and graphics=(TRUE|FALSE) more in
line with the other updates? True, one more argument, but you can imagine
update.packages(ask=TRUE) with a "fall-back" to a text-based selection menu.
Until implemented, one could default to graphics=ask.

Minor comment 2: Naming conventions, not discussed very often, but I would
suggest chooseCranMirror() instead of chooseCRANmirror(). (I comment on this
in under "3.1 General Naming Conventions" -> "Abbreviations and acronyms
should not be uppercase when used as name" in my RCC draft at
http://www.maths.lth.se/help/R/RCC/.)

> - install.packages() with no/empty pkgs argument brings up a
> listbox of all available packages (including those inside bundles).
>
> - menu(graphics=TRUE) is implemented.
>
> These can be set up to use widgets where available (Windows, if Tk is
> available under X11, I hope Aqua before release), and have a
> text-mode
> fallback (better than the current menu(), but in that
> spirit). (Except
> that is install.packages: text-mode selection from 480
> packages even in
> three columns is not useful to me, but a scrolling list works well as
> Windows users of R already know.)
>
> My question is:
>
>  	What should be default be?
>
> Options might be:
>
> - use the graphics widget if available.
>
> - make the graphics the default on Windows (it will always be
> available,
>    but not necessarily on the right screen under DCOM uses).
>
> - make text-mode the default on Unix.

I would say that same/identical behaviour on as many platforms as possible
should be favored. That will make it easier to write general
instructions/help and have subsection with OS-specific features.

> - do different things for different tools.  Currently
> setRepositories()
>    and chooseCRANmirror() default to graphics-if-possible, and
>    update.packages() defaults to text mode (which gives more
>    detailed information).
>
> I am not really in favour of making the defaults a set of
> options, but that is possible.

My feeling is that a global option is what you want. Not only in the above
cases, it would be nice for any package developer to be able to query such
an option. I also believe there are different users; some prefer GUIs some
prefer command line, or even strongly dislike GUIs).

If writing scripts for, say, automated installation of 450+ CRAN packages on
various systems such Linux, Windows and OS X, it would be very useful to
have a predictive behaviour of the above so that you can make it work the
same on all systems. For example, I used to redefine readline() to
automatically answer questions asked by install.packages() when installing
many packages at the same time; this would be much harder if a GUI pops up.

Maybe there should be a new options to start R with, e.g. --nogui.

Best

Henrik Bengtsson