[Rd] Re: [R] Do environments make copies?

Nawaaz Ahmed nawaaz at inktomi.com
Sat Feb 26 15:23:12 CET 2005

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all your replies and input. In particular, thanks Luke, for
explaining what is happening under the covers. In retrospect, my example
  using save and load to demonstrate the problem I was having was a
mistake - I was trying to reproduce the problem I was having in a simple
enough way and I thought save and load were showing the same problem
(i.e. an extra copy was being made). After carefully examining my gc()
traces,
I've come to realize that while there are copies being made, there is
nothing unexpected about it - the failure to allocate memory is really
because R is hitting the 3GB address limit imposed by my linux box
during processing. So as Luke suggests, maybe 32 bits is not the right
platform for handling large data in R.

On the other hand, I think the problem can be somewhat alleviated
(though not eliminated) if we did garbage collection of temporary
variables immediately so that we can reduce the memory footprint and the
fragmentation problem that malloc() is going to be faced with
(gctorture() is probably too extreme :-). Most of the problems that I am
having  are in the coercion routines which do create temporary copies.
So in code of the form x = as.vector(x), it would be nice if the old
value of x was garbage collected (i.e. if there were no references to it)

nawaaz