[Rd] Getting width of Tk text widget via tcltk

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 15:24:55 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, John Fox wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Is it possible via a suitable tcltk command to get the *current* width, in
> characters, of a Tk text widget that has been resized with the mouse? In the
> following code, the reported width of the text widget doesn't change, even
> though it has been resized. I can, however, get the current width in pixels:
>
>> library(tcltk)
>> top <- tktoplevel()
>> textWindow <- tktext(top, bg="white", height=20, width=80, wrap="none")
>> tkgrid(textWindow, sticky="news")
> <Tcl>
>> tkgrid.rowconfigure(top, 0, weight=1)
> <Tcl>
>> tkgrid.columnconfigure(top, 0, weight=1)
> <Tcl>
>> tkcget(textWindow, width=NULL)
> <Tcl> 80
>> tkwinfo("width", textWindow$ID)
> <Tcl> 486
>
>> # resize window with mouse
>> tkcget(textWindow, width=NULL)
> <Tcl> 80
>> tkwinfo("width", textWindow$ID)
> <Tcl> 743
>
> I could convert pixels to characters, but wonder whether I can get the
> latter directly.

I suspect you may have some difficulty with the latter, even in a
monospace font.  Notice that 486 is not a multiple of 80, and if that is
actually 81, 743 is not a multiple of 6.

I was trying to do this with heights for a listbox a few days ago, and it
seems that the line spacing is actually 1 pixel greater than is reported.
Since you can resize to a non-integer number of lines I don't believe (and
I tried to read the source code) that Tcl/Tk works internally with
characters.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk