[Rd] Changing function arguments to NULL

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Mon Feb 28 23:13:57 CET 2005

But passing list(NULL) or NULL into a function may have entirely
different results.

For instance,

> paste("Hello world", NULL)
[1] "Hello world "

> paste("Hello world", list(NULL))
[1] "Hello world NULL"

Simply put, I'd like to look at a function's call (i.e. using
match.call()), and replace one of its arguments with NULL and
re-evaluate it. I was hoping for something generic, such that I didn't
have to know all of a function's arguments ahead of time (i.e. I could
just replace the one I wanted without even knowing the names or values
of the other arguments), but this may be easier said than done.