[Rd] R-intro

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Jan 1 17:24:33 CET 2005

Gorjanc Gregor wrote:
> The problem is that there is no file morley.tab. I belive that for first impression or example session, things should work.

Have you read from the beginning in Appendix A? It says:

"Login, start your windowing system. You should also have the file
‘morley.tab’ in your working directory. If not, seek the local expert
(or get it yourself from the ‘datasets/data’ subdirectory of the default
R library tree). If you have, proceed."

The point is that we cannot get the file anymore from "datasets/data",
because since the days of R-2.0.0 we have the data in package "datasets"
lazy loaded and the file "morley.tab" is not available in binary
installations. Hence it is a bug.

Possible solution:
We could copy the file to something like
.../src/library/datasets/inst/intro/morley.tab

It would also make sense to simplify the Appendix A stuff in R-intro,
because this is (well, has been) a more or less frequently asked
question (I wonder why nobody has asked during the last 3 months ....):

filename <- file.path(.find.package("datasets"), "intro", "morley.tab"))
filename
file.show(filename)
mm <- read.table(filename)

Uwe Ligges