[Rd] R 2.1 dies when some text() arguments are NULL (PR#7477)

Robert_Keefe at umit.maine.edu Robert_Keefe at umit.maine.edu
Fri Jan 7 04:44:35 CET 2005

[My very deepest apologies in advance if this is not plain text; I am
recently at a new job in a windows-based environment and have
not yet set up my favorite old (pine) system. I have tried my best to
strip all formatting from the message..]

I'm overlaying plots of tree locations mapped before and after
logging activities and checking my matched individuals using
several arguments to text() which plot tree attributes by or
near their (x,y) locations. R 2.1 dies when a coding error on
my part results in a null data.frame...

Example:

plot(1)
text(NULL ~ NULL, label=NULL)

This happens for me under Windows 98 and XP. Andrew Robinson
was kind enough to try it for me on FreeBSD with the same result.
The code returns nothing for me under R 1.9 on Windows 98 and
XP (same win. machines).  The version details of the three
are as follows:

# FreeBSD:

>version
         _
platform i386-portbld-freebsd5.3
arch     i386
os       freebsd5.3
system   i386, freebsd5.3
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

# Windows XP:

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

# Windows 98:

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

Please let me know if I can add any more details-

Thank you,

Rob

Rob Keefe

Cooperative Forestry Research Unit