[Rd] Re: [R] Compilation of R code

Sat Jan 8 18:04:53 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 07:33 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 16:00 -0800, Sameul M Mwalili wrote:
> >> Dear ALL,
> >> In order to install the Rice R to C compiler (RCC) you need to patch
> >> the R source code. However, the patch command at DOS prompt returns an
> >> error:  patch is not recognized as internal or external command. How
> >> do you patch in DOS (or Windows)?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Samuel.
> >
> > The GNU patch program is available as source code via:
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/software/patch/patch.html
> >
> > I also located a Sourceforge project that has pre-built native Win32
> > binaries, which requires msvcrt.dll:
> >
> > http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > There may be other resources to reference.
>
> Most of us use Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/).  Gnuwin32 is also a good
> source (a bigger and more active project than unxutils):
>
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
>
> and their latest announcement is patch.
>
> Warning: the RCC patches are R-version specific, and the last available
> appears to be 1.9.0.
>
> Warning2: Some Windows versions of patch require CRLF files, and the R
> sources are LF files when unpacked by tar.

[moved to r-devel]

WRT to Warning2, unix2dos and dos2unix are available via the cygutils
package at Cygwin to make the requisite conversions.

Also, might it be reasonable to add a pointer to the gnuwin32 project to
DM's site as a resource for additional tools? I tried searching his
site, the I&A manual, the INSTALL file in .../src/gnuwin32, Kevin's "R
for Windows Users" on CRAN and the list archives but could not locate
anything on patch for Windows initially.

Also, as an FYI to Fritz, the links to Kevin's web site in the
Contributed Documentation section:

http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~kwan022/pub/R/WinBook/
http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~kwan022/rinfo.php

are not valid.